We were lucky enough to shoot a few interviews before the Covid-19 pandemic. The first interview was dedicated to hiring a remote team in Ukraine. Our second guest, Andy Morrey, a Managing Director at Magma Trading, told us about the…
Ruby on Rails vs Python: Everything You Need to Know
Ruby on Rails vs Python — which scripting language is the finest? To start, Python and Ruby are next-gen, supreme-level, server-side scripting languages concentrating on simpler, crispier, and high-performance codes.
Python was created organically in the scientific community as a prototyping language, the aim of which was the ability to readily be translated into C++ if a prototype worked. Python envisages a straightforward strategy for programming. In Python, there is only one “finest” method to do something. Ruby concentrates on “human-language” programming. Its code does not read like a machine-based language; it’s more like a verbal one. This feature makes Ruby famous among programmers, both newbies and professionals.
Both frameworks are extremely popular among developers and software development companies. The best thing is to obtain both technologies, but we know that there is not enough time, and sometimes you should choose which scripting language to learn and apply in the first case. That’s why our new article is about Ruby on Rails vs Python — what is the best solution for server-side scripting.
To make this work objective, we have prepared a lot of content, so get ready for a nerdy long-read. The Devox Software team has worked with both languages for a long time; on behalf of the Python agency, we picked the best tools already to perform services for our clients and the company’s needs. Which one is the best, Python vs Ruby? Learn now!
Similarities and Differences
There are a lot of similarities and differences between Ruby and Python programming languages. But before this, let’s focus on the notions:
Python is an uncomplicated, painless to learn, strong, high-level, and object-targeted programming language. It is also an analyzed scripting language. The founder of python programming is Guido Van Rossum.
Ruby is an open-source, object-focused, dynamic, and reflective programming language. Ruby has lots in common with Perl and Smalltalk programming languages. It works on all sorts of platforms like macOS, Windows, and all types of UNIX. Created by Yukihiro “Matz” Matsumoto.
Similarities of Ruby and Python
Differences between Python and Ruby
As you can see, these tables are a short overview of Ruby vs Django languages. You can see what these languages have in common and what differs between them. But for a complete understanding of which tools will win, Ruby on Rails vs Python, we have examined all the features, strong and weak points, the difference in the architecture process, etc. Continue reading to dig deeper into the code!
Features of Ruby on Rails
Here are the most significant characteristics of Ruby:
- It is a really fully object-oriented programming language.
- It is a sole-purpose, decrypted programming language.
- One of the distinctive framework functions is that it may be applied to write Common Gateway Interface (CGI) scripts.
- It has an equivalent syntax to that of numerous programming languages like Perl and C++.
- Ruby has a wealthy set of built-in processes, which can be applied directly to Ruby scripts.
- It is a server-side scripting language, so it is alike Python and PERL languages
- It may be operated for the development of Internet and intranet tools.
- Ruby is very scalable, and the large programs created in Ruby can be handled easily.
So, in facing features, in Python vs Ruby, Python development software wins. There are various handy functions that will make any engineer satisfied.
Pros and Cons of Ruby and Python
Our second round is about comparing the advantages and disadvantages of languages to discover the winner.
Pros of Ruby
Here are the main benefits of Ruby on Rails:
- This language was created to assemble the developer’s work faster, and it gives freedom to developers to create any size of the web app speedy.
- Ruby is open source.
- It delivers the freedom to devs to involve creative solutions during work.
- Ruby has a smooth and comfortable syntax, which helps a new developer to learn fast and painlessly.
Cons of Ruby
Of course, there are disadvantages to applying Ruby:
- There is an ongoing decrease in the popularity of the Ruby language.
- It is hard and painful to debug tasks in Ruby.
- It is complicated to find libraries and gems.
- It presents fewer use matters other than web development.
- Ruby has limited support, community, and documentation.
Look at the brands that decided to pick Ruby as a scripting language.
Pros of Python
What about Python? The range of cons will surprise you!
- The tool presents database interfaces to all main commercial DBMS players.
- Python gives an interactive surface that allows you to test something before real implementation.
- Python reaches with many prebuilt libraries, which helps your development task to be delivered easily.
- It enables you to make complicated programming simpler. As it internally operates with memory addresses and garbage collection.
- Python goes alongside an enormous standard library, so it sustains the vast of routine programming tasks.
- Uncomplicated and understandable syntax compared to C, C++, and Java languages.
- Python is a mobile language, so it can operate on a vast of operating systems.
- The language obtains its auto-installed shell.
- Comprehensive library and convenient tools for developers.
- Python’s source code is effortless to maintain due to easy debugging and writing.
- Runs on different kinds of computers and systems like macOS, Windows, Unix, OS/2, etc.
- Python is a strong object-oriented programming technology.
- Uses a clean syntax, making the program you write easier to work with.
Cons of Python
Of course, there are disadvantages to applying Ruby:
- Weak in mobile development, hence not operated in app development.
- Used in fewer platforms rather than Ruby.
- Lack of commercial support.
- During a run-time, you can see a lot of errors.
- Under-developed and elementary database access layer.
Here is the list of Python developer companies that prefer Python as the main language for scripting.
To sum up the second round of Python vs Ruby, the winner is Python thanks to a long list of advantages. Let’s move on to the final round.
Ruby vs. Python in Web Development
Facing Web Frameworks
Django and Ruby on Rails are quite similar and operate in the same way. Both use the traditional model-view-controller (MVC) way, have several libraries to add functionality, and have similar repositories – RubyGems for Ruby and PyPi for Python.
So, they both get a point here.
The Level of Required Skills and Experience
Python is well known as a beginner language, and almost everybody knows it by name. Ruby on Rails is considered the demand and a skilled-enough topic to handle. So in this stage of the Ruby vs Python web development contest, the win goes to Python, because its availability to all levels (juniors, middles, seniors) is a huge advantage. It also makes it easier to outsource Python development.
TDD is a normal both Ruby and Python wish to maintain in their languages. PyTest and unit tests (Python) are operating to perform the duty. It helps the creators to do the coding better by running on tests.
Ruby has a special behavior-driven development (BDD) tool. This kind of testing, brought to Ruby vis RSpec, functions by comparing your codebase to a list of prerequisites written out by developers.
So here, Ruby wins with TDD+BDD tests. This victory is important for the Ruby vs Python speed contest (with Ruby you can test quickly and more effectively).
AI and Machine Learning
Python’s libraries help to win here by making it the go-to language for artificial intelligence (AI). It’s true that Python is operated to create most AI algorithms, so developers that to work with artificial intelligence should know it fluently. One point more to Python.
The Final Word: Ruby vs. Python?
The rounds are over, now we can look at the battling table.
We are giving the win to Python due to the points and features described above. But remember, these languages are great, and it depends on your skills, the task, and the various aspects. Try on yourself and choose the best!